Monday, April 30, 2007

I Give Up



This year I really tried: harder than ever. I tried to get into the NFL draft.

I see how much fun my fellow sports fans have with the event - it seems right up there with the Masters and Kentucky Derby as far as off the beaten track sporting events that are cool.

I was and continue to be bored to tears with the whole thing. It reminds me of when I lived in the deep south and Division I college football had their recruiting.

It was bigger than life to everyone. I never got it.

So my list of things in pro-sports for which I have 'missed the boat' remains the same:

  • NFL draft (To me it's like listening to names being called at the DMV)
  • NCAA Division I recruiting (I cannot allot enough time in my life to keep up on the nation's top high-school athletes)
  • MLB pre-season baseball (unless you're sitting in the sun - snooze)
  • The NBA Regular Season (if you can dribble ... you make the play-offs)
  • International Soccer (between the fighting fans and grueling 2-1 games ... snooze)
  • The Olympics (I know they are not pro sports, but today they really are. It's all about money, sponsorships, and endorsements. I wish it was still about beating the 'Commies.'

No comments: