Friday, April 13, 2007

So Long Kid ...

If you missed it this morning, Amy has decided that now is the time to leave the show and spend more time with the family - especially those famous triplets!

Thinking back, one of the primary reasons I wanted Amy Taylor at KTI was that I loved her perspective on life. She said the things I was thinking - but never thought to say. If I remember correctly, the first time I met her I was detained out in the hall and her time with us was almost up. I think she said something like, "Hey gotta run ... would've been fun ... see ya."

When I first met Amy, she was an established TV anchor at channel 4 hosting daybreak. She used to come over to our side of the building after 7am and hang with the boys. It was magic. They loved it ... she loved it ... you apparently loved it. But she still was a channel 4 person.

One day she invited me to sit-in and watch how they do a TV show. While I was impressed with the technical stuff and talent of the producers, it was what I heard Amy say between stories - or during commercials - that really caught my attention. She was very witty and could find humor in anything. When I got to know Amy a little better, I realized that is how she approached life in general: she made it more interesting. It was then that I really wanted her on KTI.

It is ironic that the reason I wanted her on KTI - is now the reason she has decided to leave the show: real life.

When she joined us at KTI she and Jason were child-less. Despite the personal nature of going through fertility treatments - Amy shared it with the world. I still remember her describing the "romantic" process of Jason waking her up at 1am for her shot in the buttocks. Again - Amy bringing humor into real life and sucking us into her life.

I also remember being on vacation with the family in Massachusetts when I got the call she was pregnant. Great - I said (wondering why she would call me on vacation) ... then she finished ... with triplets!

We all lived that experience with Amy, Jason and the rest of her family as if it was our own. There were some awkward moments for me ... like when I showed up at her house with our chief engineer to set up a mobile studio (if you remember, she was on mandatory bed rest). A very very pregnant Amy let us in - not caring that she was in a very very maternity robe and slippers.

I wish Amy and Jason all of the best as they raise those triplets. Be assured I will miss her at KTI. There was never a situation - no matter how tense - in which Amy didn't add a little humor.

Her last day on the air at WKTI is Friday, April 30th.

No comments: