Monday, April 9, 2007

Brewers: Week One


My family and I were on TV last week at Miller Park and did not even know it. These two guys waving their shirts were filmed by FSN to use as a bumper to spots (media term for the picture they use when they are transitioning from programming to commercials - usually with the theme music underneath). We were behind them and to their left - just in line for the camera.

Good news for FSN - people are watching because I cannot believe how many people saw us on a Tuesday night game. I saw all 6 Brewer games in opening week (3 at the park, 3 on TV).

Week #1's edition of Nobody Asked Me But:
  • JJ Hardy was the most valuable player in week #1. His bat and his glove made a big difference. At first I thought it was just me being relieved that he was ready to play again after such a long time off. But his stats's back him up.
  • Runner-up? Derrik Turnbow. The first batter he faced on Tuesday took him deep - but the out was made. On Sunday he beaned the first guy (Derrik Lee) - but held the lead. He scared the crap out of us ... but he delieverd. His innings were crucial to those two wins. Maybe the 8th inning is really where he belongs.
  • Honorable mention in week one: Jon Estrada showed real leadership and a veteran approach to the plate (please pay attention young apprentices Hall & Weeks). Also a shout to Geoff Jenkins (still not a clutch hitter - but showed much more discipline and focus than over the past 5 years).
  • The organist at Miller Park played "Winter Wonderland" before the game on Saturday. Lots of smiles and laughs as most people got it.
  • Why do the Brewers play an animated cartoon of them smashing all of the other NL Central parks before each game? Their road record is bad - abysmal against the NL Central. It's almost like someone paid for the cartoon and wants to make damn sure it gets played.
  • I miss Darrin Sutton - but like the new guy. Darrin gave the games character. Brian just lets them happen. Both work for me. Jimmy Powell is still my favorite.
  • FIGURES: I saw a spot on Wisconsin Avenue that was close enough to the yard that I figured I would save $8.00 in parking. I even made a big deal out of it - giving my kids the money to spend in the park. Of course after the game - I had a $30.00 ticket under my wiper for parking less than 4 feet from a driveway (I was about 28 inches). I was wrong - but ended up shelling out $38.00 that night (kids had already spent the $8.00)
  • I know our outfield is crowded ... but something tells me the more Tony Gwinn JR we see - the better.
  • I was surrounded by families - all wearing Cubbie gear on Saturday. All were very nice and several said Miller Park was a tradition for their family. When I asked why, the first thing they said was the roof means the game will happen - no delays, rain-outs, or frost-bite. Others hinted (quietly) that Wrigley was no longer family friendly (was it ever?). One of the moms quickly said at Miller Park they have ladies rooms. I think they do at Wrigley - just not enough.
  • After such a nice experience with the Chicago fans during the game - our walk back to the car was not as pleasant. A few inebriated fans chanted "Brewers Suck," followed by "Green Bay Sucks" finishing with "Cheese sucks." Most of the pin-striped fans shook their heads in embarrassment. One of our guys responded with "Toll Booths Suck." Everyone got a good laugh out of that.
  • I do not think baseball players find themselves in the middle of great moments by accident. Craig Counsell is going to be honored tonight in Miami during the 10 year anniversary of the Marlin's series win (he scored the winning run). He was also part of the 2001 Diamondback victory. The guy is a winner. His batting average is deceptive because he causes more damage when it counts than most .300 hitters. Already this year, when runners are on base and the game is tight - he hits (5 RBI this week alone). Seriously - if the season was on the line ... he is the guy I want at the plate (batting average be damned)
  • The Crew still doesn't play enough small ball. I know it's all about the 82 Brewers this year. But we should study the team that beat us that year: the 82 Cardinals were all about pitching, speed and defense. Let's emulate that and play some October baseball.
  • I am just so happy that baseball is back.

No comments: