Friday, April 20, 2007

Are we being served?


It's the age old media debate:

The public's right to know ... versus the public's best interest (which as a whole, the public cannot be expected to handle).

I watched the video of the VT shooter once ... and wished I had not (and I have been in the media for 20+ years - 'cutting' my teeth in a newsroom in Boston).

I read with interest NBC's official statement that they broadcast the tape because it was a "unique look inside a killer's mind." In this instance, I honestly do believe that their motive was not ratings - although the NBC 'bug' in other coverage sent chills of doubt down my spine.

News people are bred on passing along information and I'll bet most in the NBC chain from Brian Williams all the way down to Matt Laur would have voted to show it. I don't fault them for it. They believe in spreading the word.

One obvious question - why not just post it on MSNBC.COM and let those who want to see it, actually take steps more detailed than turning on the TV?

This is where my problem with the whole thing comes to light.

The killer could have put it on-line - he didn't need NBC. But he was counting on NBC to broadcast the tape ... why ... because something on broadcast TV still has credibility as opposed to something on the Internet.

The end result: the killer's plan was executed perfectly. Like one of those WWII suicide bombers that took out a ship and scared a nation - he was successful.

Either way ... it would have ended up on TV. But by starting on NBC, it had instant credibility in heartland America's mind.

So the public's right to know was served. But was their best interest? Was this no different than openly negotiating with terrorists?

All future mass murders now have a plan. They have seen exactly what will happen. Most don't care about fame while alive. They want posthumous fame anyway.

BTW: This type of thinking was why I decided a career in news wasn't for me. I am of the belief that if a meter is streaking toward earth and we all have a week to live - I DON'T WANT TO KNOW. It's not in my best interest.

The media did not serve the public's best interest - once again. Which is why I'm glad my biggest choices are choosing which new hit to play on KTI ... or who should take Amy Taylor's place as our morning show co-host. Those are decisions I can live with.

No comments: