Tuesday, April 10, 2007

He's Always Been A Cranky Old Bastard


When I was living back east in the early 80's, I remember hearing "Imus in The Morning" on New York City radio station WNBC (660 am). The station became more famous posthumously in the 90's when Howard Stern showed us his take on the station in his movie "Private Parts."

Twenty-Five years ago - Don Imus was a cranky old bastard ... just like today. I have always wondered how this guy stays on the air. At least back in the 80's, he surrounded himself with funny people and you could get a laugh from the show. Today he just rants about his cranky old views everyday on MSNBC and a network of radio station. He tries to be Howard Stern without the ability to really tell stories.

Remember when President Clinton's people hired Imus to speak at a dinner in D.C. (after Monica), and then were shocked when he made jokes about getting a "Lewinksy?"

Hello?

What is it with Tim Russert, Dan Rather, Tom Brokaw and the rest of the media elite. Now they are going to distance themselves from Imus?

Now? He was just being who he always has been. You didn't know he used that kind of language? Maybe you media elite should ask the public: they knew.

But now he has to deal with what I call the STORM CHASERS.

Just like those who follow tornadoes in Kansas and Oklahoma, the media STORM CHASERS sit and wait for someone to say something explosive. Then they race to the scene of the storm and become a part of it.

People love to be heard.

What if only those who actually heard Imus say the inappropriate thing were allowed to go on TV and tell them how it made them feel? In other words, no STORM CHASERS (also known as opportunists).

Many years ago when I hosted a talk show on the radio, I used to give regular time to a lady who we always credited as a "community activist." She was an eloquent speaker and I really loved having her on the show. One day in conversation it came up that she didn't go to high school locally - not a crime: yet she used her HS days in some of her rants. A few calls and I discovered she didn't even live in our community! She lived in a neighboring community - one without the media platform she needed to be an activist.

She was so mad at me pointing this out, that she never came on our show again. Too bad - I was honestly wanting to know how someone who is a full-time community activist makes a living?

I think it would be for the better for all of the media if Imus went away. He is the most negative, bitter, crusty person I have ever heard on the air. I just hate to see him chased out of the biz by those opportunists who will seize the platform now that it is national.

Remember - some of these same people called Imus "I-Man" up until this week.

No comments: