Thursday, April 19, 2007

15 Days Into It ...

Here we are ...

15 games into the Brewers 2007 season (not counting the Indians games here in Milwaukee or the rain-out in St. Louis to be made-up)

We're in First Place ...

We had a WINNING road trip

Kevin Mench is our secret offensive weapon (???)

You know ... this year could be fun! So here it is: Nobody asked me at 15 games, but:

  • Turnbow = drama. I think the 2nd Pirates game was good for Derrik in that he looked like he was going to melt down - but did not.
  • Man, the Cards still have my respect. I know they're not as good as last year's team: but I still feel like our guys are not as good. So far - that is the only team that makes me feel that way.
  • Our base running sucks.
  • Ricky Weeks rocks.
  • Prince Fielder can make it look too easy. Sometimes he reminds me of that softball guy who just trots up to the plate and pokes one to an open hole like he's better than everyone else. Prince does this against lefties too! He is an amazing player to watch.
  • Can we get Jason Bay? I don't have the stat in front of me: but I can't think of another opposing player who raises his average like Bay when visiting Miller Park.
  • I think Dave Bush is going to have a big year (maybe at the plate too). If he works out a few kinks - he's there. What if he was the ace? Huh? C'mon: it could happen ...
  • I am glad Sheets told us that he felt lucky on opening day and that the Dodgers were just "off." Otherwise we might think he is hurt again. Wait ... do we think that?
  • I love watching opposing pitchers hold Corey Hart on base. With those long legs, he gets a good lead without looking like it.
  • Ken Griffey Jr is still the Reds franchise player.
  • I was WRONG about Kevin Mench. I knew the stats said last year's Brewers stint was a fluke. But I'm wondering if now that he looks more like Lyle Overbay up there (succinct swing) if he's gotten better.
  • Anybody hear why Damian Miller started at 1st on Wednesday night? I missed it.
  • Every time I hear the Cubs lost again ... it's like finding a dollar in my jacket pocket.
  • My daughter thought the guy who plays President Palmer on 24 was Bill Hall. Have you noticed the resemblance? They both have the growling look when looking at a fastball.
  • The Brewers have a losing record on RETO DAYS (Sunday last year, Friday this year). Like the man (Don Henley) says: "Don't Look Back, You Can Never Look Back."
  • I really appreciated the moment of silence before Wednesday's game to honor those who lost their lives at VT. I'm guessing those in the suites didn't hear the silence part as they kept yakking - and eating their $50.00 chicken fingers ...
  • In conclustion: I'm a very happy fan at 15 games. Hopefully, we'll get better and I will raise my expectations. But for now: play ball!

No comments: