Tuesday, April 24, 2007

I Stand Corrected


Radio City is a big building with a lot of people running around during the day. So many people, that we fall into that category of knowing people by a characteristic. I am known among even those who I don't know as the guy "who can't stand Geoff Jenkins." I am sure there are other things I am known for behind my back ... but the Jenkins thing is the one out in the open.

For years, people I barely even know would pass me in the hall and make a comment:

"Hey ... Jenks was 2 for 3 last night ...

or

"See - he's coming around!" (this was last September after the Brewers were out of it)

There was a time when Gino even started a Geoff Jenkins collection of newspaper clipping on my office door. In fairness to Gino, he included both the good and the bad - including that USA TODAY photo of Geoff striking out for the 6th consecutive time.

So you can imagine earlier this year - I was screaming that we need to trade him ... for anything. I kept hearing from "Jenkins Nation" in our building that he was in a contract year and this would be the big one. I wasn't buying.

Today, April 24th, 19 games into the season: I stand corrected.

He and his platoon mate Kevin Mench are both hitting .350. Jenkins is taking walks, hitting the ball the other way, and actually making some more contact.

So here goes ... My hands are trembling as I write this: but the Brewers would not be in first place without Jenkins right now. There I said it. That wasn't so hard. It just seems odd.

My assessment is that Jenkins surge this year has less to do with it being a contract year, and more to do with the platoon. Face it - last year lefties were striking out Jenkins on intentional walk pitches! He can look awful against lefties. Now, he's got his confidence back - his defense saved a game last night and the boo-birds are no longer chasing him at Miller Park.

I'm sure there was some Doug Melvin intervention here too. Some kind of fatherly like talk in which Doug told him to be the leader: period: no more excuses.

So ... I dedicate this post to all those who I have offended in years past with my Jenkins tirades - at opening day, our company outings, in the Pick 'N Save deli, on Flight 924 to Tampa etc. Truthful as they were, I now realize they were hurtful too.

Don't expect me to go out and get a number 5 jersey.

But do expect me to clap when his name is announced.

No comments: