Friday, May 18, 2007

Why Longevity Is So Rare

There really is nothing harder in show-biz than keeping a group of individuals together: whether it is in music, an ensemble TV cast, or on the radio. When you think of it, the words group and individual are quite opposite. Yet that’s what we have: a group of individuals.

Whether you were into the Beatles or the Bangles, their breakup was inevitable. Sometimes it is creative differences. Most of the time it is just their individual needs and desires taking over. It is also why longevity in the biz is so rare.

We create successful radio shows when we find different individuals, with different points of view and different desires in life and let them com bust (ala “The View”). There is more to it than that: but that is the foundation. It sure is whole lot more entertaining than listening to a panel of people agreeing with each other.

We were spoiled at KTI in having the Reitman and Mueller clan stay together for so long. The reason we called our celebration of Bob's career "The Reitman Era" was because of a one line e-mail we got from a listener. Right after Bob said he was leaving, she wrote simply: "It's the end of an era in Milwaukee." And as is typical with most ensemble groups, once a piece is removed others soon follow. It just happens: in bands, in TV casts and in radio. In our case, Bob retired. Amy followed by deciding to be home with her triplets while they are still of pre-school age. Gene's dream job opened up at WTMJ where he can talk news and sports (his passions) instead of American Idol. So in 6 months, our foursome was down to one. We made the decision that instead of trying to continue to patch together the old show pairing Gino with new people it was probably time to start over. So that is what we will do after Memorial Day.

While Gino is no longer with 'KTI, he still works with our sister station TMJ-4 and I'm sure will continue to do the movie junkets. Those are the trips the movie studio's provide for him to Hollywood whenever they want to promote a movie. He gets to hang with the stars, attend Hollywood functions and stay at the 4-Seasons hotel. I hope he gets to do it for a long time to come. Gino is a very resourceful person and is about as well connected as anyone can be. We wish him nothing but the best and will do whatever we can to help him.

It's a unique situation for me in that these people are all still in my life. Reitman was in the office today to say 'hi' and record some commercials. Gene was in to go on Charlie's show on 'TMJ - and starts on Moday. Amy is on vacation but sent me an e-mail checking-in. And Gino will be back next week to do the TV cut-ins. For that matter, Gordon Hinckley still visits us on a regular basis (for those who don't listen to 'TMJ, he has Reitman status over there).

Again, I will be happy to answer any questions about 'KTI or our new direction in the morning. If you're serious, you can call me at (414) 967-4094. I will call anyone back who I miss as long as you leave your number clearly and maybe twice. If you just want to comment, feel free to zap me at morningshowfeedback@wkti.com.

Have a great weekend!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was a life-long Reitman and Mueller listener. I really loved it when Amy joined the show. But it all seemed different when Reitman left. It was sort of forced. It felt bad like KTI was trying to hold onto the past. They should have listened to Reitman saying "don't look back you can never look back" Thanks to Reitman, Mueller, Amy and Gino for the memories. I will try the new team and hope they begin some new memories.

Anonymous said...

I think we all get how wonderful and unique the run of the morning show was. Given the wonderful uniqueness of the morning show it deserved a better sendoff. Not a cut and run. We can understand that Gene may have not wanted a long farewell, however Gino did deserve better. Somehow he could have been allowed to be part of a transitional team - I think as listeners we deserved at least some kind of closure.

Anonymous said...

Put me in the no goodbyes column. I hated what channel 12 did with Jerry Taft and was even tired of the year long Reitman goodbye. I think that Mike Gousha did it right and I like the way Gene and Gino moved on. With dignity.

Anonymous said...

BOB: You can spin this story anyway you want, I still will no longer listen to your station.

Anonymous said...

Seeing as though brief with no consideration is what KTI seems to understand.
How about this.
After 20 years I will no longer be a KTI listener. I will never stop encouraging others to follow suit.

Shame on you!

Sincerly yours,
Tuned in and Tuned out

Unknown said...

Spin is right. The morning team didn't disband on its own. You didn't put the new morning team together in the few weeks since Amy left. You were focused on creating a new morning team for quite some time. Amy bailed out before being fired. Gene was fortunate in being offered another position. Was Jenna being led on that she may have a chance at a position on the morning team or did she know it was meant to be temporary? Gino was summarily dismissed after contributing many years of pleasurable banter to the loyal listeners.

One of the reasons people are so upset about the way this was handled, is that it is so typical of heartless companies that displace workers every day. However, this displacement happened publicly to people that are loved by the listeners. It was a dose of reality to everyone that there is no such thing as job security and the end can be handed to you very rudely. Anyone can be tossed out to make room for a young upstart from some other state.

The station is going to have to pay the price for the way this went down. Loyal listeners aren't going to return to listen to 3 people that have no ties to Milwaukee. We have no reason to give them a chance. I hope they realize what an uphill battle they are facing. They better keep their resumes handy because they can easily be replaced if the audience isn't large enough. Nothing personal, just business.

Anonymous said...

I have listened to WKTI since 1986. I always said that a day without Rietman and Mueller is a day without sunshine. I loved those 2 so much and I loved Amy Taylor and Gino. They made the show.....they were the BEST! I think I could have accepted the change if we the public were told they were leaving so we had a chance to say good-bye....some kind of closure. I was so brokenhearted that Wed when it happened. I think it is just horrible that after this team was on KTI more than 20 years and to just one day tell them their gone! That is what is so lousy of the management team!! We, the devoted listeners needed or shall I say deserved to say good-bye...basically, KTI disrespected us too!
I did listen to the new threesome this morning just to check them out. First of all, I totally don't like Erin, maybe because Amy was so awesome.......and I thought them interviewing drunk people was stupid........I wasn't impressed and I won't be listening to WKTI anymore.......I feel like I lost a dear friend.
One more comment, I can't understand why Gino wasn't allowed to stay? And, what about Lips moving up to the morning team, or Dan Kyle? How awesome those three would have been together? And Jenna was fantastic too! Lips, Dan, Jenna and Gino too! Mr Walker, you have talent right in your own backyard! I agree with the others that you were looking to replace the entire team when Reitman gave his notice to retire last year. I totally have no respect for you.

Lady Milwaukee said...

Mr. Walker, it seems that you have a lot of unhappy listeners. I was out of town for several weeks and came back to a new crew. I thought someone reprogrammed my preset stations in my car and at home as a joke.

I'm okay with the change, but I do agree with many other listeners about how Matthew, Erin and AJ sound a lot like KISS FM - in the way they talk and the subject matter.

Change can be good and I personally don't care how Gene, Amy and Gino left - just as long as they're happy. Good luck to all of them and know you'll be missed.

When I listen to KTI, I look forward to the weather, news, intellectual topics and the funny brotherly/sisterly type banter. I also look forward to the phone calls with Jurko and the conversations with Vince and Susan from TMJ4.

We have a new crew and a lot of suggestions and comments from the listeners. I hope you find a way to merge it all together for a happy medium.

Good luck to the new crew. I'll be listening.