Thursday, May 10, 2007

20 Miles From The Best In The Land



It hit me on the way home from the yard: I live 20 miles from the best team in baseball ...

See ... I never lived in Atlanta or Chicago (the Sox ... duh).

I lived across the river from St. Louis once - but it was a good 30 miles to Busch Stadium.

As the Crew takes a well earned day off - they have a .700+ winning percentage and are 14 games over five-hundred.

Holy Crap!

Things are going great - but I know there are those of you who rely on me for superior analysis (you know who you are!). So here we go with the day-off May 10th baseball version of:

Nobody Asked Me But ...

  • Prince Fielder must be a Cylon (dorky Battlestar Galactica reference - I know: but it sure would explain a few things ...)
  • Seeing how things turned out for Suppan ... can I use Mark Antanosio's dining room to interview for Amy Taylor's replacement?
  • Ricky Weeks has done a 180 on defense. Did you see the snag yesterday against the Nats?
  • I hope Ned isn't using Coco too much. That day he worked when we had a big lead - I heard that Ned wanted him to get some work? Fine - get him a paper route. We need that arm for after the All Star Game.
  • John Jaggler from WTMJ told me that even if the Brewers play .500 baseball the rest of the year - they would not finish 14 games above .500. I don't get it. They win one ... they go to 15 over. The lose one, they go back to 14 over ... and so on and so on. Right?
  • Not to question the best team in the biz ... but why is Gabe Gross starting over Tony Gwinn? Gabe is a solid bench guy and one of the best pinch-hitters. But if there is one small thing I could ask for this year ... it's MORE GWINN - MORE OFTEN. That guy is Mr. Excitement.
  • True the NY - PHI series will tell a lot about this team - but so will the Braves series starting on Memorial Day. The Braves have womped on their former city's team in the past - and they look good this year.
  • Do we have to take an All-Star break in Milwaukee? Seems like the really bad things have happened after the break for this team. Let's call the Marlins and Cardinals and see if they want to make-up those games we lost in the rain.
  • Speaking of the All-Star Game: I heard the 'Big Unit' chastising his disciples over not voting in the All-Star process. As one of the biggest baseball fans in the hemisphere, I can say that the only thing more laughable than the All Star election process is a general election in Florida. Bill - we don't need guys in the game. Nobody wants to be there anyway and our guys might as well rest. Seems like our last couple of All-Stars (Turnbow and Carlos Lee) faded quickly after their appearances.

No comments: