Friday, May 4, 2007

Free Speech - No Matter How Painful


Again - I am forced to remind myself that I support free speech - though I find the content deplorable. How many times is this so far this year?

Michael McGee a radio talk show host on WNOV said something that could arguably be even more hurtful that that idot Don Imus. Yesterday morning he began his talk show with a bit about WTMJ's Charlie Sykes and the death of his mother in a house fire this week.

Here is a transcript:

"Mother Sykes, she dead. To me it's the vengeance of God. I ain't got no tears. Matter of fact a woman that would have a fool like that deserve whatever is coming her. She raised a sure enough idiot, my instincts say Charlie Sykes killed his momma, cuz she live out in this big palace in Mequon all isolated. He got tired of waiting for her money."

(reprinted exactly from YAHOO)

I should note that Charlie is a colleague of mine inside Radio City. But honestly - other than the obligatory 'hi' or quick Brewers talk in the hall, I do not really know Charlie.

Regardless - How can any reasonable person not compare McGee's rant with Imus'? I read Al Sharpton's critique of Imus' bit and it applies to McGee 100%.

McGee doesn't have the national platform of Imus so I do not expect Al Sharpton to fly into Mitchell anytime soon. But I sure hope everyone in Wisconsin who was asking for Imus' head is up in arms about this. I will be checking the JS in a minute to see if that is the case.

It's so tough to support offensive free speech from McGee or anyone else. Be assured: I would also support WNOV's right to can McGee if they don't want that kind of editorial spewing from their frequency.

Oddly enough - McGee's comments were slanderous. Even Imus didn't go there. I say let the lawyers go after him. Then he'll know the meaning of vengeance.

Please be assured this is not a 'radio thing.' It is McGee's thing. I'm saddened that a medium I love so much is again the vehicle to deliver such crap. But it does prove the power of the spoken word. Much more powerful than print (in the paper or this blog).

I guess I'm glad I do not recognize the same God as McGee. Any God that would strike down an innocent old lady because of her son's editorial content is not for me.

If that is your God Michael - I pray for your family.

No comments: