Wednesday, May 9, 2007

The DH was bad enough ...


I grew up an American League fan (as you might have) and always thought the DH was cool. Who wanted to see an automatic out in the 9 position?

But after a decade of living National League baseball, I have lost my love of the DH. I am not here to debate the strategy of the sacrifice ... double switch ... swinging bunt: all of the cool things that happen more in the NL.

I'm here to complain about people well past their prime still in the game - which up until now has always been due to the DH.

Now it's half year pitching.

I'm not crabbing out Clemens going to the Yanks - I actually like the idea of some excitement in the Bronx (We need the Yankees ... like football needs a return of the Dallas Cowboys).

I'm crabbing about pitchers now extending their careers by skipping the first half of the season - then jumping on a team with the arm of an opening day pitcher. Why not Gregg Maddox? or John Smoltz? Randy Johnson? There ought to be some sort of rule that only allows pitchers to play in the post-season if they played pro-ball (sanctioned minor or major league team) for the entire year (obviously the DL would count).

Again - I'm not surprised Clemens went to NY. Face it: NY baseball is fed by big names. NY baseball has to compete with Broadway and everything else NY.

I just don't like the precedent this has set. I'm not rooting for an injury - just that he is ineffective.

Of course next year he'll just wait until August to play ...

No comments: