Thursday, January 11, 2007

Catch A Rising Star ...

Woo-Hoo! A comment after one of my blog entries ... except I had to erase it. Not because it said anything I don’t want to hear (believe me – I want to hear it all!). It was an honest post from someone working in the biz looking for career advice. The author asked for advice on “improving their situation” through either a promotion or finding a better job.

I’ll talk about getting promoted today … and getting a better job in the biz tomorrow.

BTW: The reason I had to erase the comment was that the author singed it with a real name. I figure if I recognize the name, others in the biz might too. Believe it or not, there are those who would frown on someone asking for outside feedback. Years ago I worked for a General Manager who would give another station’s general manager a “courtesy call” when someone from their station applied with us (geez – I wonder why we could never recruit anyone decent!!). So I did the humane thing and zapped it. Believe me: it was hard – I finally get a comment and I have to erase it!

First of all, I would not want anyone in my organization who is not trying to improve themselves or their situation on a regular basis. Any culture that doesn’t encourage that is a den on mediocrity. So good for you! I think in both cases there are two big issues:

1. Do you have what it takes to get the promotion or job?
2. Does everyone know of your accomplishments?

The first question in our biz is probably the most difficult. The real answer lies within yourself and your ability to be self-aware. Everyone wants the high-profile “big” position – yet many are not honest with themselves as to their own skill level. Just because you are a fantastic copy-writer or producer does not mean you have the skills to host a morning show. You may be the best street team member in the history of radio, but that doesn’t mean you are ready to run the marketing department. It might: but it is much more complicated than that.

Don’t get me wrong: I am a big believer in people working their way up the chain. I feel that the more skills you learn on the way up – the better qualified you will be for just about any job. I love the story of the intern who eventually ends up running the company (with a good 25-30 years in between). I’ll bet most CEO’s were interns at one time (probably somewhere else). Let me put it this way – It is interesting to watch someone oozing with talent who manages to cheat the system and skips levels: it’s exciting. But from what I have seen, they move quickly at the beginning then hit a brick wall. They just don’t have the breadth of experience needed to make the best business/career decisions. So part one is this: learn all you can by doing everything. Take initiative: You will then have the best grasp of your skill level.

Part two requires more tact. Getting on everyone’s radar is great: but the quickest way to get on the wrong side of the radar is through bragging, exaggerating, or putting down others. I guarantee that if you improve the situation to which you are assigned: the right people will notice. If you continually do it, you will be on everyone’s radar and be looked at as a rising star.

A rising star will be protected by their current employer – and poached by a competitor.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Bob,

Good advice. On top of that, I must say, work hard and most of all be available when the Program Director needs you. Sometimes, the night guy walks out in the morning and if you are available, you do nights and hold down the fort and do a good job and even after leaving the company because of an Army transfer, you are still held in good standing.

Hollywood

Bob Walker said...

Hollywood - Hope all is well in the 'district.' You are missed around here - despite the fact your a GATOR! Happy New Year.

Anonymous said...

I just got my WKTI hooded sweatshirt in the mail today. I will be wearing it on the golf course tomorrow when it is Sunny and 68 here in Virginia.

I hope to make a trip to Milwaukee this summer for Summerfest.

By the way, I miss doing Back to the 80s Saturday Night. Loved doing that show. I have been gone for over a year, but I feel like I am still part of the KTI family.