Friday, December 29, 2006

'06: The Year In Review


Well – the votes have all been counted and I have made my decisions for 2006 – The Year in Pop Music. My criteria isn't the same as a music critic for the newspaper (I don't need to be moved by the music). My list is of the top 10 songs you heard on the radio and probably downloaded on iTunes. Here goes ... starting with # 10:


# 10: Shakira / Hips Don’t’ Lie: Love it or hate it, it became the most played song on the radio in modern times (meaning since the music people can track it electronically). Plus – Dan Kyle can dance to it. Shakira is a world-wide superstar but like Soccer, she does not get the same respect in the states. Good for her.

# 9: Rascal Flatts / What Hurts The Most: Even those who feel it necessary to call us and accuse us of “going country” every time we play a Faith Hill song – Even they liked this one.

# 8: Nickelback / Savin Me: The band the ‘too hip for the room’ crowd loves to hate … But they keep cranking out the hits. I give a nod to this one over “Far Away” just by a smidge.

# 7: Christina Aguilera / Ain’t No Other Man: Three former Mouseketeers had big headline years (Justin for his “Sexyback” and Britney for her continued bad life choices), but it’s Christina who continues to be the talent. The song is instantly catchy and her respect for the olden days of film and music just gives her coolness. Her biggest challenge for ’07 is not to screw it up!

# 6: John Mayer / Waiting For The World to Change: The guy who takes himself way too seriously finally gives us something to bite into. When the song first came out we heard from many that it was too political. But if you listen closely, JM is speaking for the aging “X’ers” who have more on their mind these days then extreme skateboarding.

# 5: K.T. Tunstall / Suddenly I See: The music people tell me this was supposed to be K.T.’s debut single for America, but when ‘Black Horse’ got picked up by a TV show, they waited. Good move – that was a hit, and so is this one. Great lyrics, great hook – the feel good song of ‘06

# 4: James Blunt / You’re Beautiful: Who does not want to be told that they’re beautiful? The whole “out of reach” thing makes it seem real: An amazing ballad. ‘Nuff said

# 3: Bon Jovi / Who Says You Can’t Go Home: This song was a pop and country hit (like What Hurts The Most.) at the same time. Just a great straight-ahead pop/rock record with a message we all want to hear. BTW: Everyone from New Jersey eventually goes home.

#2: Rob Thomas / Streetcorner Symphony: TV made the song instantly recognizable … What a cool song. I’ll bet RT never goes back to MB 20 – his solo stuff is just so much better.

#1: Gnarls Barkley / Crazy: Sometimes I really appreciate a song that does not catch me on the first listen. This one took a few spins – but I think it was the best pop single of the year. My four year old son loves to wait for hook and belt out “Who do you, who do you, think you are? Ha, ha, ha!” This was the mass appeal hit song for 2006.

Honorable Mention to:

Rihanna / Unfaithful – gutsy … it gave me a chill the first time I heard it.
The Frey / Over My Head – easy on the ears, simple, like a comfortable old shoe.
JoJo / Too Little Too Late – talented kid … reminds me of Leann Rimes.
Justin Timberlake/ Sexyback – Honestly, I don’t’ know why. I want to hate this song –but I really like it.

The Best Song You Didn’t’ Like

Cheyenne Kimball / Hanging On – Amazing song, but our KTI listeners continued to give us negative feedback.

Worst Song – And You Didn’t Like It

James Blunt / Goodbye My Lover – quit y’er bellyaching … although it was fitting background music when Michael got dumped on The Office

Best Video

OK Go / Here We Go Again – These guys lived on You Tube.

Best Album (CD)

Sara McLachaln / Wintersong – Much more than a Christmas CD.
Have a safe and Happy New Year!

No comments: