Thursday, December 21, 2006

Happy Christmas


I have never been a huge fan of contemporary artists remaking the Christmas classics. I'm also not a huge Sarah McLachlan fan. But somehow these two forces negate each other on Sarah's Christmas CD - Wintersong

This may be the best Christmas CD in my vast collection (and I have an entire CD wall of Xmas music at home).

I'm hoping for Reitman's & Yoko's forgiveness on track one - but Sarah's Happy Christmas is the best rendition of that song I have ever heard - better than the John Lennon original. The strings, the choir and Sarah's ability to cover the range needed on this song - it's magic.

Track two is a haunting rendition of What Child Is This. With due respect to Vanessa Williams - this one is also the best I have ever heard.

Sarah covers What Child Is This, I'll Be Home For Christmas, O Little Town Of Bethlehem, The First Noel, Silent Night and Have Your Self A Merry Little Christmas. All pleasing to the ears.

There is an original song, River that may be her best work yet. I see that getting airplay on my iPod long after Christmas is over.

I know I am gushing about this CD - but you have to understand how many cross my desk each year. There were 3 or 4 new versions of Happy Christmas alone. The others were terrible. This may be the one time I recommend by-passing iTunes to buy the CD (for old times sake).

Amy Taylor and I got to hang with Sarah a few years ago before a show at the Bradley Center. Things I remember about that afternoon:
  • The aroma of stir-fry. Sarah travels with her own personal chef and he was busy whipping up some dinner
  • Sarah's dog roaming freely around he B.C. We had a good laugh at the intern who had to follow him with a "pooper-scooper" (Hey kid - this is how you break into the music biz)
  • Amy made me pay for parking.
Website for the CD:


No comments: