Friday, March 9, 2007

When Did We Lost Sight Of What's Important?

Someone called me earlier this week asking for my help on a project this Saturday.

I declined - stating that it was my son's 5th birthday on Saturday. I would be happy to help on Friday.

The person goes on saying "well, it would only take 45 minutes - an hour tops."

I was a little taken at first. I hope this doesn't sound sexist - but it was a women calling: and I assume women to have higher standards when it comes to family time (okay - you can call Oprah and turn me in).

I was firm saying my day was booked and the conversation ended then (a little on the cool side I might add).

I'm used to doing things for the office on Saturday - it's part of the biz. Honestly - some of the people who ask us to participate in things do so under the premise that we have a license to operate in the public's interest - and therefore we should be at the 'beck and call.' Fortunately - those people are the few.

In life - the 5th birthday may be in the top 3 in kid importance (10 and 16 being the others). Even if it was 6, 9, or 11 - I'm going to be there. I didn't have kids to hear about their lives from others.

His birthday party with all of his little buddies isn't until 4pm, so my wife and I asked him what he would like to do the rest of the day. Now we have a tentative schedule:

  • Get up and have something fun for breakfast (pancakes?)
  • Play a game (maybe Sorry)
  • Go outside and have a catch (assuming it's not below freezing)
  • Have lunch at his favorite burger joint
  • Watch Return of the Jedi
  • Have his party - open gifts.
  • Watch Deal or No Deal (we DVR them during the week)

That may seem lame to the person who assumed I would slip out for an hour. But I can't wait.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bob
Very refreshing post! It's great to see that you recognize what a gift your children are.
I only disagree on one point - EVERY birthday is a key birthday. However, I believe you know that. Your kids are lucky to have a father that appreciates them.

jane

Bob Walker said...

Hi Jane - thanks for the comment. I wasn't looking for a 'pat on the back' for me.

I grew-up working in a family business. We didn't have weekends off and during some tough times, my parents worked long 15 hour days (gas cruch of the 70's).

But the one thing I remember is that on our birthday's - my sister, brother and I we were #1. Not to sound sappy: but it was probably the best gift of all.