Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Then What Is A Better Plan?


No radio post today.

There has been something else bugging me now for a few months. It's the fate of Midwest Airlines.



I remember the first MW flight I ever took. It was from San Francisco to Milwaukee before 9/11. I had never flown MW (my cab driver had never heard of MW). I figured it was some small operation and I was going to be lucky if I didn't have to sit over the prop.



When I stepped on the plane - I had to re-check my ticket. This was it? Two across leather seating - friendly agents (even in SF) and a general feeling of happiness to be flying. Happy people filing into roomy seats ???



It was like an episode of the Twilight Zone - To what parallel universe did I just gain access?



Then about 45 minutes into the flight they brought a soft drink ... then salad ... then a real meal ... then fresh baked cookies ... and champagne to top it off. I was full, comfy and actually caught a few winks (I never sleep on planes).



Again - a check of my ticket showed I bought a coach ticket - one that cost the same as United or Northwest.



Post 9/11 the steak knives and champagne glasses are a thing of the past. But I do not care. That stuff was fun - but not what makes me fly MW every time. It's the 2 across seating with enough room to feel like more than livestock.



I wish they would switch their slogan to THE ONLY HUMANE AIRLINE.





What's really bugging me is Airtran's statement that Midwest's business plan is outdated - flawed. I'm not a business school graduate. But something seems wrong here (not to mention MW made money last quarter ... AT took a bath).



I've been gnawing on this now for months and here is what I think.


  • I cannot think of one other brand that has my business 100% of the time (when going to a MW destination).

  • I cannot think of one other brand that I would go out of my way to recommend. Heck, my colleagues are jealous when they found out I came into a business meeting on MW.

  • I cannot think of another brand that I would go so far out of my way to use (including flying into an airport 100 miles away and driving the rest of the way - just because it's a MW destination).

  • I cannot think of one other brand for which price is not my #1 concern (BTW: MW is not only competitive - but usually cheaper????)

  • I cannot think of one other brand that would pain me to see go away (other than WKTI, naturally).


How can fierce loyalty be the result of a flawed business plan?



When I get where I'm going, I rent the cheapest car. I stay in the place that is closest to my meeting. I eat the easiest food.



If Airtran takes MW, I guess I'll just to to Orbitz and book whatever flight is cheapest. I have nothing against Airtran and have used them to fly into areas with no MW.



I have nothing against them ... and feel nothing for them. They're a line on my Orbitz.



Is that a better business plan? I sure hope not.





No comments: