Thursday, November 16, 2006

Barking Dogs Not Allowed ...


Great line from a listener on the phone: "C'mon - how many real Christmas hits are there?" She was calling to ask me why there are so many crappy Christmas songs that get played on the radio. For the record - not on KTI.

To answer her question, I figure there are somewhere between 25 and 40 true Christmas hits. That's why we have never flipped to all Christmas Music at KTI. There are just not enough true Christmas Hits - for a hit music station to justify making the flip. If we went all XMAS, you would have heard every song I dare play in 90 minutes.

When I travel around this time of year and hear some of the all Christmas stations - I shudder. I can't take Clay Aiken's rendition of White Christmas? No - I want to hear Bing Crosby. How about Jimmy Eat World's "Last Christmas?" My kids get a kick out of the barking dogs - ONCE.

Forget about it. I wanna hear the hits. So this year I'm trying something new at KTI. I have been working on a Holiday Hits channel that only plays the biggest selling Christmas singles combined with the highest charting songs. If you're really "jones-ing" for Clay or Jimmy Eat World - you know where you can find them. But if you're sitting at the office or at home and want to hear the holiday hits - you've got to try KTI's Holiday Hits ON-DEMAND. It will be an Internet radio station that you can access directly from WKTI.COM. I'm hoping to have all of the corny greetings done today and have the station on the air by Saturday.

If you don't like it - we can bring back Clay Aiken. He's cheaper than the Barking Dogs!


2 comments:

Idle-wandering said...

Hmmmm. There is no rendition of "White Christmas" by Clay Aiken on any album--not that accuracy matters when mere prejudice will suffice.

Anonymous said...

Please, please if you know of a rendition available of "White Christmas" by Clay Aiken, could you let me know where to purchase it.